Monday, January 18, 2016

Morimoto Restaurant Week 2016


Today, it's MLK day and the start of the NYC restaurant week. That means I can try out those restaurants that only offer lunch menu. Many restaurants have been fully booked for the week but I'm lucky enough to book the last table for Morimoto. Unfortunately, it was darn cold today.

My friend got the angry bird...i mean angry chicken. First impression, crispy with a little burnt smell. It is better when eaten with the sauce.

Angry Chicken
kabocha squash, shiso cucumber pickles, citrus yogurt, roasted chili-miso sauce



I actually wanted to get the black cod, but I assumed I will be hungry cause I saw how small its portion was. So instead, I got the dry aged burger, cooked medium rare.  As you can see from the picture, the burger was cooked nicely. What surprised me was the fact that parts of it tasted like foie gras, which was not something you would expect here. Perhaps it's the cheese and the shiitakes combination (not your regular cheese and shiitakes preparation). Pity that it's not as juicy as what I expected. Nonetheless, still a good memorable dish. 

Morimoto dry-aged burger
miso russian dressing, sake kasu soba ale cheese, soy-ginger shiitakes, house-made nori bun

Burger comes with the chips though it's a little burnt for my liking. Each dishes comes with a set of miso soup, suribachi sesame mixed greens salad, and cucumber pickles. My friend commented one of the dishes tasted like the Indonesian 'gado gado'. Guess which dish is it?

For dessert, there's only 2 options. Panna cotta is nice and delicate. Tasted just nice and not too sour.

Panna cotta with mixed berries

I got the fondant which looked like an inverted cupcake. It's pretty dry so, the orange sherbet and cream was a nice touch.

Chocolate fondant with blood orange sherbet

Overall, not too perfect, not too shabby. My friend prefers the angry chicken but I prefer my burger. My previous omakase experience here at Morimoto still prevails, but hey, can't complain for a $25 lunch. Actually, it only costs me $20++ after using Amex restaurant week offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment